Wednesday, June 25, 2008

reunion top ten, part 5

THE AUCTION

We simplified the kiddie auction into goodie bags, which the children picked after drawing numbers out of a hat. It was a hit. I suspect that the kids are still enjoying the candy and dollar-store toys.

The adult auction was fabulous. I think this is destined to become a reunion tradition, with Stephen as Family Auctioneer ("I have eight hundred . . . do I hear nine nuh nuh nuh nuh").

There were so many amazing donations. We all had a great time, and came away with a number of incredible "buys" with our $5,000 in play cash (fabricated by Todd). Among the handmade gifts and heirlooms we won were a couple of Dad's watercolor paintings, antique ceramics from Nana, frames made by Steve, Kevin's childhood jacket for Linus, a hand-knit sweater (which Dad commissioned in Germany), Melissa's tooth fairy bag, jewelry, and cool vintage pyrex. I'm pretty sure that everyone left satisfied.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Yes it was so fun. The children's auction was definitely a hit. The adult auction was hilarious too. Of course, loaded questions was good for laughs. Cypher in the Snow-terrible!

Leslie said...

that is a really cool idea.