Thursday, June 26, 2008

reunion top ten, part 6

YELLOWSTONE

Amazingly, this was my first trip to Yellowstone and I loved it. After a farewell picnic with the Shakespeares, we drove through the gorgeous park in amazing weather. Seriously, I can’t wait to go back. We didn’t see any bears, but did see bison, elk, deer, and a bald eagle.

I think I would have enjoyed Old Faithful more if there had been less of a crowd and fewer kids fighting (and those kids would be mine). We did walk over to another geyser, The Beehive Geyser, which only erupts about every 23 hours. Water spraying about 200 feet in the air and being able to see the opening in the ground was pretty impressive.
We drove back to Idaho via the incredible Teton Nation Forest and stopped for dinner at Richard and Laura’s home in Jackson, WY.

The day was breathtaking, but I think I can safely say that the highlight for my Texas-born and -bred children was the mound of dirty snow in the Old Faithful parking lot. Todd, Grandpa Sam, and I were all casualties of the late-season snowball fight.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

The snow doesn't look that dirty...as long as they weren't eating it! I am glad that you enjoyed Yellowstone. I wish we could've gone too.

Erin said...

I want the recipe for the labyrinth walk ... I know my mother would LOVE to do something like that when we gather together in August.

:)