Thursday, July 14, 2011

Happy Bastille Day

It's Bastille Day, a Frenchman's wearing yellow in the Tour, and we thought it would be a good idea to have a special dinner, so I made crepes for the children for the first time. I made savory crepes with a filling of tomato chicken (which we'd made a few nights ago) and a bechamel sauce with emmental francais, which I thought was delicious.

The response of the children was mixed; Casper ate very well until his siblings and their skepticism made it to the table.

Linus, as is clear from the pictorial evidence, was the most hesitant about the meal.

Oddly enough, it wasn't the structure of the dinner which caused the children distress. When I offered to make them dessert crepes with homemade peach preserves, ice cream, and powdered sugar, they were most enthusiastic.

2 comments:

Heather Atchley said...

Mmmmm, it all sounds delicious. LOVE Linus' expression. Phoebe does that too....she will be fine with something, until Sophia offers her negative opinion, and then Phoebe is no longer okay with it. *Sigh*

Shauna-mama-gramma Sam said...

What can you expect? Ze are not French children! I don't even know what that was you put in the bechemal (sp?) sauce was, except that it was French. (What WAS it?)