Wednesday, June 30, 2010

swimmin' whole

The big kids are finishing up swim lessons this week, and I count this year as our biggest success so far. Linus has come a long way. He's a five-year-old inside the body of a seven-year-old, so he still has some trouble controlling his mass. Even in the water, he flails his limbs around, but he is definitely more coordinated. If a parent (or teacher) holds onto him, he moves his arms and legs just as he is supposed to, but the minute you let go of him, he freezes up and sinks to the bottom. I think a few more trips to the pool and he'll have it. His first-ever jumps off the diving board occurred this week, and he's been very proud of himself.

I think that next year we'll put Gwendolyn on the swim team. She's really a pro now -- solid forward and back strokes, treading water, swimming laps, and diving for rings. She's always loved the water and done well in lessons. She has a small class this year and the one-on-one instruction has helped her. I think she would live at the pool if I would let her, but the pool is not my favorite outing. Sorry, kiddo.

1 comment:

Heather Atchley said...

YAY--on all accounts! Sophia is really enjoying her swim lessons this year and will finish on Thursday. Pictures to come on our blog about it. She gets so proud of herself when she goes underwater. I like the picture of Linus under the water. Very nice!