Sometime before the end of the year, Jen read a book called Eat to Live which had been recommended to her. She was very impressed with this thoroughly-researched book about nutrition and health, and asked me to read it as well. When I did, I found that it challenged many of my preconceptions and givens about how and why we eat. Essentially, it argues that the typical Western diet is calorically rich and nutrient poor, and that a healthful diet should invert this formula. (In practice, what this means is that we should center our eating on plant-based foods and should limit meat consumption, processed foods, etc.) We've decided to follow the book's challenge for a six-week "detox," in which we'll be eating a pretty hardcore vegan diet (though I prefer to call our status "herbivorous"). We will report on the results of our experiment.
Monday, January 9, 2012
eating and living
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment