Friday, September 9, 2011

ice cream anti-social

We'd committed to take homemade ice cream to a church event, so last night I'd put together one of our favorite recipes, strawberry with balsamic vinegar. For those doubters who cannot imagine vinegar in a non-savory recipe, understand that the role of the balsamic vinegar is to deepen the flavor of the strawberries and add a little edge. It's beautiful stuff.

When we arrived, I had to serve the ice cream into tiny tasting cups so that everyone could get a bite of each of the seven or eight homemades (before going to load up on the storebought stuff). There were some really great flavors, too; perhaps my favorite was the cherry/almond/white chocolate. As you can see from Gwennie's picture above, the tasting ended with a voting, and thanks to the boosterism of my daughter (I assume), we narrowly took the lead. That was when Linus came running up to me and bellowed, "Daddy, you won the ice cream social!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"How would you describe your ice cream?"
"Edgy."

--El Jefe