Dad had made everyone who attended the high adventure journals in which they could keep notes about their discoveries, specimens they'd found, and so forth. These were largely bound from pieces of leather found around the Samuelson homestead which had some historical significance (for example, one book was bound in deerskin which had been tanned, as I understand it, from the hide of a deer which Sam had shot on a hunting trip he took with Dad; another few, including my journal, were bound from an old leather jacket which several of us wore at various points in late adolescence).
I kept a log of the events of the weekend, but also sketched some of the important details (most having to do with the better ways of roasting pig in a pit). When Will and the boys captured a garter snake, and when Steve and I narrowly missed catching a blue-tailed skink, I had to add it to the record (although my recollection of the appearance of the elusive skink may not be as accurate as I would have liked).

No comments:
Post a Comment