Wednesday, January 13, 2010

sarcasm


Casper has developed an ability to respond to ordinary situations with subtleties of sassiness that is, I think, uncommon in a two year old. Real snottiness is a matter of intonation, and I have to say that he has the tone down. It's a little surprising, because as verbal as the children are, neither of Casper's siblings have ever been like this; Gwendolyn is able to articulate her issues directly, and Linus is more sensitive and prone to freakout when he's upset. But Casper's answer to the power imbalance that is being the youngest of three is to use sarcasm to get a bit of an advantage. It's pretty effective -- especially with Linus, who just gets flustered. Here's an example, in which Linus was talking about his imaginary university, Secret Boy Class (where he sets the curriculum -- it's pretty much all construction and transformers):

Linus: You're never going to be big enough to go to Secret Boy Class!
Casper: I already go Secret Boy Nursery.
Linus: You're going to have to go to Home School.
Casper: Mama, I go to Secret Home School!



2 comments:

robyncreates said...

Th post under this one cracks me up! The way you described how all three of your kids reminds me of my 3 and the same way, in the same order. Hmmm...it's interesting to see the roles they all pick up with where they fit in the family-as well as the personalities combined with that. Addi doesn't say "bad dad" though, just calls him "old man". :)

Heather Atchley said...

Well at least Casper came out of that conversation totally satisfied. I could see Phoebe just being simply frustrated or insulted by it, but Casper did awesome. Too funny.