Baby Pillow (or BP, as she is sometimes called) came to our family as a Christmas present from Auntie Tiffany when Gwendolyn was 13 1/2 months old. But Gwendolyn had a different lovie then -- Curious George. I know that when she turned two, George was still her #1 guy, but by the time we flew to Idaho that Christmas, we were packing George and Baby Pillow. Soon after that, George sadly fell out of favor. Baby Pillow has been an almost constant companion and playmate since then.
Until just a few months ago, Gwendolyn was a thumb sucker and liked to suck her left thumb while using her right hand to pluck "fuzz" from BP's soft flannel pillowcase. This fuzz would then be rolled around on her lips and made into "fuzzballs" and then given to Mama and Daddy as gifts. Nice, huh? Incidentally, this plucking obsession is why Curious George looks like he has mange (and I suspect that he was replaced in large part because his fur was not the best stuff for making fuzzballs).
All three of my children have lovies and each lovie is a part of our family. They are comfort items, yes, but more than that -- they are an extension of the child, a child who is trying to figure out this big, wide world. Baby Pillow still sleeps with Gwendolyn, is mothered and loved, and has a present under the Christmas tree (from me!), but it is also obvious that she's becoming less important. Gwennie recently announced to me, "I don't need Baby Pillow to ride in the car with me everywhere!" But secretly, she still likes it best when BP is right there with her.
Monday, December 15, 2008
lovies, part one :: Baby Pillow
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow! I had a moment like this with Sophia not long ago. Her blankies are like BP, but a couple weeks ago she told me on the way out the door "I don't need my blankies." I was so surprised and yet proud of her. She is more willing to leave them in the car as well as leave them at home. Not always of course, but she is progressing into a big girl.
Those are beautiful photos of Gwendolyn & BP!
As a mother, I secretly hope my children will continue wanting & needing their lovies. For Annie, it's Snuggly Cow. For Graham, it's black spiderman. They're full-fledged members of the family. :)
Post a Comment