This morning we said goodbye to our city friends. It was really emotional. Gwendolyn figured out that this was the last time she would be seeing her friend Thomas before he moves to Minnesota. Those two have such a connection, a connection which never seems to fade, even when they don’t see each other for weeks at a time. As hard as it was for me to say goodbye to my dear friend J, I know that she and I will still email and write and talk, but five year olds can’t connect in those ways. It breaks my heart to know that Gwennie's glorious, lovely friendship with Thomas is essentially ending. I’m so glad that she’s had this bond with him, this comfortable intimacy which I think is rare in children, but today I can’t look at pictures of them together without tearing up; I know she feels it too. After he left, she immediately asked if there was anything in the house which would remind her of Thomas. I brought her the fairy he had given her for her birthday, and she’s carried that little blue figurine around with her all day. Through her tears she told me, “My heart is breaking right now.”
4 comments:
There's nothing better than fabulous friends that you connect with and everyone in the family has someone whose company they enjoy. I am sorry you had to say goodbye. Poor Gwennie.
That makes me sad too. I hope they can keep up their friendship as they grow up.
That is so sweet but so sad...
Gwennie is lucky to have had this friendship. Your post made me sad but the photo of them holding hands made me tear up.
Post a Comment